Google has updated as in-depth guide on how to control site moves in a Google bot friendly way. They grouped the site move into one of two types of content migrations.
- Site moves without URL changes: Change just the infrastructure underlying the website without rolling out any changes to the structure of the URL. For example, you may move your site say ‘www.123.com’ to another host without changing the URL and the site structure.
- Move a site with URL change: Site URL can be changed in number of ways
- Protocol change from ‘https://www.123.com’ to ‘https://www.123.com’
- Domain name change from say ‘xyz.com’ to ‘xyz.net’
- URL path change, say ‘https://123.com/page.php?id=1’ to ‘https://123.com/widget’
Google said that they have seen situations where webmasters implemented site moves incorrectly or missed out steps that would have greatly increased the chances of the site move completing successfully.
For more information and guidelines check this page.